A name, personality, person and a human being, known by a world. Above all, he is the one who put the best example of humanity. The role model to many people in the world. Father to many and smiling to all. Our eyes filled with tears as we remember this name but the love and emotions are always high and positive for our very own and beloved Abdul Sattar Edhi. Furthermore, A legendary man, with devotions and a pure heart. Once in a blue moon, people like him came into this world and try their best to make it a place full of humanitarians.
Abdul Sattar Edhi Life:
First of all, he was born on 28th February 1928 in Gujrat, western British, India. Though he was in a neighboring country the spirit of humanism comes in him through his mother, when she was paralyzed and later went mentally sick also. He spent most of his time with her and her death left a great impact on him. After that In 1947, when Pakistan came into being, Abdul Sattar was forced to move to their country leaving their homeland. He left Gujrat at the age of 19 are migrated to Karachi, Pakistan. This was the stage when Edhi found that without resources no one can survive but he kept his life’s decisions resolved to serve it to aid poor people.
Abdul Sattar Edhi Married Life:
His wife’s name is Bilquis Edhi which was born on 14th August 1947 in Karachi. She is the same age as Pakistan. A lady named as “The Mother of Pakistan” probably, because of her self-service and devotion for the humanity. She was a professional nurse and likewise now heads the Bilquis Edhi Foundation. And was honored with “Hilal-e-Imtiaz” due to an active social worker and humanitarian. The best example of “There is always a woman behind every successful man”. Even more, her love and respect for the country lies in it and together they save 16000 unwanted lives on earth. A salute to the mother of 16000 kids.
Edhi Foundation by Abdul Sattar Edhi:
The devotion of aiding poor people lead Abdul Sattar Sahab to build a foundation named as “Edhi Foundation” which was founded in 1951. Likewise, It was a non-profit foundation of social-welfare. It serves 24/7 without any discrimination of creed or cast. The Edhi Foundation services are beyond our imagination. It includes:
- By placing cradles outside the foundation, many unwanted babies are saved today.
- Providing shelter, food, clothes to orphans.
- Free food for disabled, handicapped, old aged, women who are tortured.
- Providing free medication to the patients.
- At the times of accidents, providing free land and air with ambulance service to shift patients.
- Free rehabilitating to drug addicts.
- Tracing missing people.
- Arranging marriages of girls belong to poor family.
- Providing free technical and religious education to children
- Providing free legal aid to bail out or the prisoners from the prisons if innocent.
The list of a helping hand never ends here. It is beyond the borders even. Because they provide their service outside the country also. Certainly, the best of all is Edhi Ambulance. The countless services are hard to imagine in many countries but through this legendary man, these are all happening in Pakistan.
Though known by many countries and across the world for his devotion and services for humanity so, many awards are also honored to Abdul Sattar and his wife.
Abdul Sattar National Awards of Pakistan:
I have never seen a man like him before. While he served all his life for spreading love and his helping hands at a time of need. Consequently, this is a man known for his deeds and for these he was awarded by many National Awards. Some of these are listed below:
- Silver Jubilee Shield by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan. (1962–1987)
- Moiz ur Rehman award, Pakistan. (2015)
- The Social Worker of Sub-Continent by Government of Sindh, Pakistan. (1989)
- Nishan-e-Imtiaz (Order of Excellence), Civil-Military from the Government of Pakistan. (1989)
- Recognition of meritorious services to oppressed humanity during the 1980’s by Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Government of Pakistan (1989)
- Pakistan Civic Award from the Pakistan Civic Society (1992)
- Shield of Honor by Pakistan Army (E&C)
- Khidmat Award by the Pakistan Academy of Medical Sciences
- Human Rights Award by Pakistan Human Rights Society
Though he is not with us, his foundation and good deeds are receiving awards till now.
Abdul Sattar Edhi International Awards:
Similarly, the work known by people across the world can never be unseen or unappreciated. Dua to his services and self-welfare program, Abdul Sattar received many International Awards also and As a result, makes Pakistan a proud country. Here is the list of all those International Awards:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service (1986)
- Lenin Peace Prize (1988)
- Paul Harris Fellow from Rotary International Foundation, (1993)
- Peace Prize from (former USSR ) for services in the Armenian earthquake disaster. (1998)
- Largest Voluntary Ambulance Organization of the World – Guinness Book of World Records (2000)
- Hamdan Award for volunteers in Humanitarian Medical Services (2000) UAE
- International Balzan Prize (2000) for Humanity, Peace and Brotherhood, Italy
- Harmony Award (Delhi), 2001
- Peace Award in (Mumbai), 2004 and in (Hyderabad Deccan), 2005
- Wolf of Bhogio Peace Award (Italy), 2005
- Gandhi Peace Award (Delhi), 2007
- Peace Award, Seoul, (South Korea), 2008
- Honorary Doctorate degree from the Institute of Business Administration Karachi (2006).
- UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize (2009)
- Ahmadiyya Muslim Peace Prize (2010)
The list is still filling up with many awards because these services and devotion never stop a single moment. Seems like it will list up with more and more.
Abdul Sattar Life Time:
At last, the shattering moment was when the nation heard that the Nobel Man is no more. The nation cried for him and remembers him as a most humble person in this earth. He died on July 8th, 2016 due to Kidney Failure. As he was on dialysis for the past three years from 2013. Therefore, In 2011, Finally, he was awarded the Nobel Award by the PM of Pakistan.
Hence, Now people remember him with many names as the richest poor man, Angel of Mercy, Babaye-Khidmat. (بابائے خدمت). A human like him are hard to find, he was a gem to the world.
As a result, Many organizations love to shake hand and bring out deals that benefit the foundation, For example, https://deikhoo.com/careem-shakes-hands-edhi-foundation-add-ambulance-services/
Deikhoo.com team will always salute to the services and devotion of Abdul Sattar due to his hands-on needy people. May his soul rests in Peace at the high place of Jan’nah.